Pages

Sunday 1 January 2012

New Year's Day 2012

Today, as well as celebrating New Year's Day, it's the Feast of the Naming and Circumcision of Jesus . I wasn't preaching and it was lovely to hear the sermon from one of our regular lay preachers which made me think. A baby's name is chosen with such care, she said - and I remember the long discussions I had with my husband before our children were born. Jesus was so named because he will save his people from their sins. (Matt 1:21) and throughout the whole service we were encouraged to think about other names given to Jesus in Scripture; Immanuel, Wonderful Counsellor, the Prince of Peace, Alpha and Omega, Son of God. Our preacher went on to leave us with a challenge - those who call themselves Christian, thus bearing the name of Christ, how do we honour that name so fully that it shows forth in every aspect of our lives?

I'm not really one for making New Year's Resolutions, but starting 2012 by being challenged to honour Jesus' name more, and to bear the name Christian with more intent, allowing its transformative work in me to continue is a pretty good alternative.


No comments:

Post a Comment